Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Broken & Spilled Out

Broken & Spilled Out

My mom use to sing a song called “Broken and Spilled Out.” Years ago I danced to this song at a children’s camp…and then a few years ago my father and her sang it as a duet to conclude a message he had shared on a Sunday morning. Each time, it spoke to my heart and yet for many years, I didn’t fully understand what the words meant and why they often brought many to tears. I didn’t understand until I saw it lived out…when I connected the lyrics to lives lived all around me…lives daily emptied for the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We have often heard of the woman who came to wash Jesus’ feet. In fact, the Bible tells us that Jesus told his disciples that wherever the gospel would be preached, her story would be told. I can’t imagine the courage it took to enter a home unwanted and throw yourself at the Savior’s feet while others looked on in disgust. She needed no water, her tears fell freely. She needed no rag, she offered her hair. What a humble act of worship and devotion. If the story had stopped here, I don’t know that any would have doubted her sincerity. But this is not the end…this despised woman reaches to grab a jar of expensive perfume. The crowd gasps. Surely there were better uses for it than to wash some dirty feet. But there was no gasp from Jesus, no disgust, no misunderstanding. Jesus knew what she was doing…she was holding nothing back, living a life broken and spilled out before Him…and this was the worship He loved most of all.

There are others stories…the poor widow who brings her two coins to the temple offering after the rich man brings his bags of coins. Jesus turns to His disciples and again says it was HER offering that He delighted in the most. Again teaching that it’s not the size, but the amount that truly matters.

David may have been pint size when He defeated Goliath, but God had ALL of Him…and God can do great things with a surrendered life.

So the questions arises, Does God have all of me? Am I holding anything back from Him? This is a time where God is calling His women, His daughters to break their jars at His feet and give Him every ounce of who we are. He’s saying, “Empty your jars. Let me have all of you. See what I can do with a spilled out life.”

No comments: