Tuesday, January 10, 2012

His Word

His Word

In Psalm 119, the author writes: “I will delight in your law; I will not neglect your word.” These words have so challenged me in my spiritual walk. I have shared them with the children and the youth at Potter’s House. I have memorized them and written them in my journal a million times. And after listening to Pastor Carla challenge us to “love the Word” this year at the last Women’s Church, I had to share them with you.

A story is told in the book “Jesus Freaks” of a congregation from a small village that did not have enough money for a Bible. So a number of men from the village spent the entire summer working for a missionary, hoping to raise enough finances for even one Bible. After the summer was complete, they told the missionary what they were hoping to do with their pay. He answered them, “You don’t have to pay for that. I have a new one right here you may have.” They men weeped for joy and ran back to their village rejoicing. Sometime after their return home, the missionary received a letter in which they thanked him again and again. When they had arrived home, they took the bible and tore it into small portions, so they could all study and share with one another. They were so overjoyed…

Another story tells of a little girl who when asked to spit on the Bible to save her life watched many do so – adults and children, but when it was her turn, she refused. She bent down and kissed the Bible. Holding it close, she was killed.

This story breaks my heart, but it also brings me to a place of challenge in my own life. How many Bibles do I have in my homes that sit unused on the shelf…when so many hold only one page of a Bible with such joy? When is the last time I thanked God for His word? Or held my Bible close?

I believe this is a year in which God is wanting to restore a LOVE for His word. We should take delight in our times with Him, reading His word. We should look forward to it each day…instead of being drug to it; we should have to be drug from it!

Let’s fall in love with our Bibles all over again. It is a love letter after all…queue the butterflies, candle light, and violin music…

3 comments:

WorkinMama said...

What an awesome reflection. I woke up this morning remembering how Pastor Carla would have Bible Study in our dorm's basement and how changed my life was. She always told us that you don't just talk to God when times were bad, but to talk to Him about our good days, blessings and positive experiences.

We treasured our relationship with God and learned to listen to Him. And...we truly read our Bibles.

Thank you Pastor Carla for teaching me to truly love God and how to listen to Him.

WorkinMama said...

What an awesome reflection. I woke up this morning remembering how Pastor Carla would have Bible Study in our dorm's basement and how changed my life was. She always told us that you don't just talk to God when times were bad, but to talk to Him about our good days, blessings and positive experiences.

We treasured our relationship with God and learned to listen to Him. And...we truly read our Bibles.

Thank you Pastor Carla for teaching me to truly love God and how to listen to Him.

Anonymous said...

Мy family members always say thаt I am wаstіng my time here at net, howeνer I knoω I am gеtting knοw-how dailу by reаding ѕuсh nice artісlеs.


Feel free tο surf tο my wеbѕite: Chemietoilette