Thursday, December 1, 2011

Learning to Love Change...by Pastor Carla Ives

I spent years resisting change. I had no problem surrendering the difficult areas of my heart, mind or actions over the years - who wants to keep sLomething that hurts you and others? But when it came to changing my lifestyle, relationships, home, or work my feet dug into the ground and I leaned as far away as I could. I hated change!

Eventually I began to understand that change comes whether we want it to or not. We can fight it, curse it, cry over it, and try to run from it...but change comes. It's a part of the journey.

When you are on a journey, the scenery and climate changes. We just returned from a trip to Maryland and North Carolina visiting our children and grandchildren (adjusting to a long-distance relationship with them was a definite change!). As we drove we saw light and dark, night and day, clear skies and storms. We saw trees and mountains fly by. And know what? We didn't mind at all. It's a part of the journey. It means we're going somewhere. We're making progress. We're growing.

I think I originally fought change because I felt it was the result of failure. I had to change or God had to change things because I didn't do something right. In truth, I now see that change comes because I'm growing and moving with God. He never stops! His Spirit is always moving and carrying me right along with Him. :) Change is a wonderful, purposeful part of my spiritual journey. Though I may not always like how it feels, I have determined to embrace it fully.

I believe we are all going to be challenged with new changes in 2012. Changes in relationships, behaviors, speech, perspectives, spiritual disciplines, work ethic, and personal growth. God is going to speed things up and wants to carry us along with Him as He moves in life-changing ways. If we'll stop fighting the changes and simply say "YES!" we will find the transitions less painful and much quicker in the year ahead. Let's all determine to "go with God"!

I am finally learning to love change!

No comments: