Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Growing Faith

Last week was BIG for me. It all started when Ron left for Haiti without me. He's traveled without me before, but never have I experienced such a prayer burden! I barely slept while he was gone, awakened in the night to intercede. The warfare was intense and we could communicate very little. He had to navigate spiritual traps and discern the will of God under great pressure. He did great!

One of the unexpected traps of the enemy came in the form of an extra $2000 needed by Thursday morning of last week. In addition, the landlord tacked on new expenses and determined to NOT do requested repairs on the house needed for the orphanage. Despite the obstacles, Pastor Ron felt confirmation we were to get the house. I understood that we had $2000 coming in offerings from elsewhere, so I told him to go for it...oops!

Wednesday I found out that I was lacking nearly $1800. The offerings were coming, but not in time. This meant I had a huge decision to make. I couldn't speak with Ron because it was too late. I turned to prayer with my friend, Peggy Phillips, as we drove home from Muskegon, MI. God confirmed NOT contacting Ron and told me to gather the counsel of three men of God - a church elder, a Heart Cry Board Member, and my dad.

This was big for me. I was raised in the early years of ministry to be strong and independent. Hear from God and do it! Waiting on the Lord was done alone or at most, with my husband. Over the years I've asked for prayer and counsel while on the run. I would do my best to hear God and press forward. I thought this was obedience. However, as I fell on my face again and again, I finally began to understand that isolationism and independence are non-biblical charecteristics. We were designed to function best together as a family.

So this time I did it God's way from beginning to end. I took time to seek out all three men of God for counsel. Each ended up with the same directive - to step out in faith and send the $2000. My dad actually gave the prophetic word that sealed the deal and released the faith needed to step out! God's Presence filled the vehicle as Peggy and I prayed and praised all the way home.

Guess what? By the next morning, the $2000 was on it's way to the bank even as I sent the same amount to Haiti. The house was secured and I will go next month to move the children in and make the orphanage a home. I can hardly wait.

Our American culture prides itself on independance. Beware of the lie of self-reliance. It's amazing how isolated we often are from one another. We need each other! We need the prayers and counsel of others in the family - those who've experienced more of life and God; those who are strong where we are weak. There is a sweet bonding and incredible joy when we do things God's way - together! Sisters, toss your independance out the window and let yourself seek the help of God and others. It's miraculous!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God gave me such intercession for Pastor Ron in Haiti last week too! I was praying right along with you sister. It is so good to hear what for! God is sooooo good!

We Love You Guys,

Tom and Doris